Ron Paul

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Wow. They do realise he intends to reduce military spending big time and adopt a more militarily and politically isolationist policy, pull out of the UN, and essentially just trade freely with the world, no?

In fact he was originally extremely pro-immigration (as in, open the floodgates) and only backed away from it politically, not philosophically. I remember him saying he does not suport such open immigration not on libertarian principle but merely because the voters don't want it. At least he was honest about it.

Now don't get me wrong: though I disagree with many of his ideas, I still like many of his ideas more than I do those of many other candidates including Obama perhaps. I'm just saying though that I'm surprised so many US citizens would support someone who is so obviously non-militaristic in a nation where to propose such ideas would usually mean electoral suicide.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
The guy has been around over 30+ years, maybe his time has come. Some of his ideas may sound off the wall, but once you think about them for a while they are pretty sound. As for his reducing the military, that is not a bad idea providing you keep military technology as a top priority. We can do a lot more today with less on the ground than we used to. (It still will require some on the ground though)

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The guy has been around over 30+ years, maybe his time has come. Some of his ideas may sound off the wall, but once you think about them for a while they are pretty sound. As for his reducing the military, that is not a bad idea providing you keep military technology as a top priority. We can do a lot more today with less on the ground than we used to. (It still will require some on the ground though)

Darn............wish I would have seen the interview........would like to have heard Ron one on one.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Some of his ideas are sound, and even those ideas of his I do disagree with I can quite tolerate. Also, even if he were president, there would be Congress keeping him in check anyway so I guess he would be a breath of fresh air as president.

And what about ron Paul's comments about US foreign policy being to blame at least in part for 9/11? he may be a Republican party member himself, but i can't imagine most of his copartisans would agree with him on that one.

I hope he wins, but these are the types of obstacles he'll have to overcome to do so. i hope he does.

I'm impressed:

Poll: Paul in top spot in Iowa GOP battle – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

With some of the views he holds (especially his views on US foreign policy being at least partially responsible for 9/11), I'm actually quite surprised that Republicans are rallying around him in such numbers.

Clearly something's changing in the US.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
The other day, I was looking for a firm apple at the bottom of the barrel, and, wow, there were possible Republican candidates discussing policy down there.
PS
Didn't find a good apple...

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Ron Paul comes across as more pacific than even Obama. imagine that, a Democrat coming across as more hawkish than a Republican!

And he could definitely use Obama's bloated military spending as a talking point. :)

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Ron Paul comes across as more pacific than even Obama. imagine that, a Democrat coming across as more hawkish than a Republican!

Ron Paul may have had suffered a episode of "foot in mouth" disease. But so far it has not become a major issue for him, not that it won't somewhere between now and election day.

“Just remember, immediately after 9/11 we removed the base from Saudi Arabia. So there is a connection. That doesn’t do the whole full explanation, but our policies definitely had an influence,” the Texas congressman said on CBS’s “Face the Nation.” Ron Paul is more of a pacifist than President Obama, and that is what concerns me. President Obama is not by any stretch of the imagination a pacifist.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Ron Paul MIGHT win Iowa. BUT, the winner in Iowa has NOT taken the Republican nomination in many. many years. He has a ZERO chance of winning the Republican nomination.

I can't believe that some of you actually take him seriously. he polls around 3% in ALL national polls.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
I've been talking to a lot of RP supporters on youtube lately and the reoccurring theme I see among them is that:

- 9/11 was an "inside job".

- RP is actually leading the polls, but the media is "lying" because of its "secret agenda against him".

- no other Republican candidate will make a reasonable President because they are all "puppets" being "secretly controlled" by conspirators. It's RP or nothing.

- "connect the dots now" ... there's worldwide conspiracy to bring in a one world government.

And of course RP's changing story about racist literature produced under his name doesn't phase them. "It wasn't the real Ron Paul!"

Right. :roll:

I can agree with RP on a few things, but the bulk of his supporters seem to be very young, have know-it-all attitudes, and see conspiracies all around them.